Upstart is a leading AI lending platform partnering with banks to expand access to affordable credit. As we transitioned to being a public company, we're now poised to leverage our domain expertise and revolutionize every aspect of lending and credit risk evaluation. We've recently expanded our offerings to include automobile refinancing and we plan to take on more verticals as the business grows.
By leveraging Upstart's AI platform, Upstart-powered banks can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. Upstart's patent-pending platform is the first to receive a no-action letter from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau related to fair lending. Upstart is based in San Mateo, California and Columbus, Ohio.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we'd love to hear from you!
We are currently building out the payroll team and this role will be the first payroll hire at Upstart. The payroll team will collaborate closely with both the Finance team and the People Operations team but will interface directly with all teams at Upstart.
As the Payroll Manager at Upstart, you will oversee and supervise the organization's payroll functions, ensuring pay is processed on time, accurately, and in compliance with applicable regulations. The Payroll Manager will also be instrumental in the design, implementation and ongoing maintenance of our new payroll system. This role will be located in Upstart's San Mateo, CA, headquarters and reports directly to the Head of Accounting operations.
How you'll make an impact:
* Ownership of multi-state payrolls for all categories of employees, which includes ensuring timeliness, accuracy, completeness, and proper cut-off for each payroll cycle as well as compliance with internal policies and applicable regulations;
* Close collaboration with the Accounting team during the month-end close process, including preparation and review payroll related journal entries and completion of reconciliations for systems and sub-ledgers to ensure completeness and accuracy of all elements of payroll-related expenses and withholdings;
* Acting as an internal subject-matter expert for payroll-related projects, topics, and tasks, including but not limited to improvements to internal policies and procedures to ensure scalability;
* Close collaboration with the HR function on parts of the employee onboarding and offboarding processes that impact payroll;
* You'll also handle new hire setup, tax form processing, benefits deductions setup, terminations, garnishments, etc.
* Ensuring that we are properly set-up with state registrations on an as needed basis. With a thriving team expanding into a hybrid working world, you'll ensure we maintain compliance with state and local tax jurisdictions- monitoring state, provincial, and local registrations for payroll taxes, local health and state unemployment insurance, workers compensation, etc.
* Leading implementation of new HRIS/Payroll systems and their integration with other key components of our infrastructure Building strong relationships with internal stakeholders and external service providers; Ownership of payroll-related controls and their documentationSupport all internal and external audits related to payroll as well as any required ad hoc reporting
What we're looking for:
* 5-7 years of related experience required.
* Extensive knowledge of the payroll function including preparation, balancing, internal control, and payroll taxes.
* Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
* Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
* Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
* Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
* Proficient with payroll systems such as Workday, ADP, OneSource Virtual
* Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Human Resources, or related field.
What you'll love:
* Catered lunches + snacks & drinks
* Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
* Life insurance and disability benefits
* Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
* Personal Development and Technology & Ergonomic Budgets
* Upstarter Clubs (Fitstarts, Superwomen, Book Club, Investing, and so many more!)
* Generous vacation policy
* 11 company paid holidays
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. Since day one, we've been dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.